We are proud of the computers that we provide at Cullinane College but we are often asked what laptop computers students should have for school and home.
There are three main options: Chromebooks, Windows or Mac.
Chromebooks are used extensively in the school and for most students are a good option:
* They are simple.
* They are inexpensive.
* The information on them is relatively secure and easily shareable.
There are some limitations with them:
* They do not work with Microsoft Office but the Google suite has similar programs.
* They need internet access to be used.
* You cannot put apps on them as they are simply a method to get onto the internet.
Prices range from around $350 up
Windows Laptop Computers will do all that the Chromebooks will do and more.
Windows is also used extensively in the school and is needed:
* For students who are doing computing courses, art or music. These subjects need Windows based machines.
* If you don’t have internet access as they can still be used offline.
Many retail shops will sell you Windows based machines that will not do what is needed:
* They will need to have a minimum of 4 gigabytes of ram and 128 gigabytes hard drive.
* They will need to have Microsoft Office for Students installed as well.
Macs or IPads are great and ideal for music and art but are expensive.
For more reading here is a good website to visit: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/tips-for-picking-a-student-laptop